Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Shrimp & Rice

Today is Ash Wednesday, so I have been abstaining from meat and fasting all day. Well if you know me at ALL I think partly with my brain, partly with my heart but mostly with my stomach... So I have been thinking about what I was going to have for dinner ALL DAY. I saw this recipe on the Food Network not once but twice. Is it odd that I watch reruns of cooking shows I have already seen? It is Giada De Laurentiis' grandmother's shrimp & rice recipe. If you make it, you will not be disappointed. However, for some reason I feel super guilty about having such an amazing meal on a day of fasting... Guess it is my Catholic guilt coming out in me ;)

Ingredients

  • 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided, at room temperature
  • 2 cups parboiled long-grain rice, such as Uncle Ben's
  • 4 cups chicken stock, not broth
  • 2 teaspoons kosher salt
  • 2 clove garlic, minced
  • 2 pounds small shrimp, peeled and deveined
  • 1/2 cup lemon juice (1- 2 lemons)
  • 1 tablespoon hot sauce
  • 1 cup whipping cream
  • Freshly ground black pepper

Directions

In a medium nonstick saucepan, heat 1/2 of the butter and 1 minced clove of garlic over medium-low heat. Add the rice and cook, stirring frequently, until golden, about 6 to 7 minutes. Add the chicken stock and salt. Bring the

mixture to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer covered for 20 to 25 minutes until the rice is tender and all the liquid is absorbed. DO NOT LIFT THE LID. Remove the pan from the heat and rest covered for 5 minutes.

In a large skillet, melt the remaining butter over medium heat. Add the garlic and cook, stirring frequently, for 1 to 2 minutes until aromatic. Add the shrimp, lemon juice, and hot sauce. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes until the shrimp is pink and cooked through. Stir in the cream and heat through. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.

Using a fork, fluff the rice and arrange on a platter. Spoon the shrimp cream sauce over the rice and serve.


No comments: